Sunday, January 16, 2011

Merlin Drinking Game

               You know that feeling you get when you have the BEST idea for a new product or game or story or something, except you have no idea what to do with it, so it goes to waste, rotting inside your head until you forget about it? Nerdfighters call that brain crack. Really it's an idea of zefrank's, but I will be taking Hank Green's approach and dumping my brain crack out into the world today (instead of actually carrying out those ideas...because I'm lazy.)

               First off, my family- and I mean my entire family, like aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents- are usually pretty invested in the Academy Awards every year. We all watch the show, we have our own contest to see who can watch every movie up for Best Film first, and, most importantly, we all compete in an Oscar nominee pool.
               We're usually pretty good with the guessing, too, since we try and see everything up for nomination. But every year, everyone hits a stumble.
               What's that stumble?
               THE FREAKING SHORTS.
               The animated shorts, the foreign shorts, all of those ten minute movies that are so cool that they win an Oscar. I think it's great that independent short films can get that highly recognized. Only problem?
               Does anyone actually watch them?
               If you're in my family, then no, you don't. In fact, I've prided myself this year on the fact that I have seen at least one of the shorts up for nomination, and that's only because Marcel the Shell is freaking adorable.
               My brain crack idea? Put together all of the nominees on one DVD package, and then sell it before the award show airs. I would buy that in an instant.

               Secondly, I don't know if anyone reading this likes the show Merlin, on BBC America, (heck, I don't think that anyone is reading this,) but I do. And lately one of the main female characters has decided that she's evil. Because of this, after she does something particularly evil, she's developed a habit of flashing an evil smile at the camera, to show how evilly EVIL she has become. Only thing is, she flashes one of these, oh, I don't know, every five seconds or so?

                 

               So my next brain crack idea isn't something inventive or anything, but I propose a Merlin drinking game, that would go a little something like this:
               Take one sip for every time Arthur doesn't notice Merlin saving his ass.
               Take another every time Merlin gets his retribution, i.e., making Arthur fall on his ass.
               And finish your drink every time Morgana flashes an evil grin five seconds after giving a main character a pitiful, woe-is-me-look.
               I would play this myself, if I had friends who watched Merlin, and if said friends and I were above the drinking age.

               And finally, a brain crack idea that is really just a complaint, not an idea. I was only reminded of this by trying to write this post. My complaint: TAB.
               The key, not the drink.

               I'm a little bit of a grammar and formatting Nazi, so it drives me crazy that I can't hit the tab button in the blogger editing window. What I usually end up doing is copying the space of one tab from MS Word and then hitting Ctrl + v every time I need it. Which sucks.
               Actually, I just forgot and his TAB right then, and I almost published my post. 
               I mean, I know it's not a big thing, and that some people hit tab and enter to publish, but I'd really rather just have the indent. So if any of the blogger fairies read this, could you get to work on that? Pretty please? With correct punctuation and spelling on top?

1 comment:

  1. My husband freaking loves those short. He found some channel on our cable package that plays those shorts for like an hour a week and he actually watches them. 10 minute things. The only shorts I ever watch are the Pixar ones. Which are too cute for words.

    Anyway, love your drinking game! I adore Merlin and yes, Morgana's evil smiles are thrown in there a lot. It's a bit cheesy, but I can't stop watching the show.

    ReplyDelete