Saturday, February 5, 2011

Stardust, by Neil Gaiman

               This is the first book I've ever read by Neil Gaiman, and I now understand why he is so universally known and beloved (in the nerd universe, that is.) Would you like to know why?
               It's because his writing is magical, and witty, and addictive, and there was, briefly, in this book, a zombie unicorn and sky pirates. Played straight. And it works.
                I loved, loved, loved this book. I loved how it seems almost possible that these magical things are real, side by side with our world, on the other side of a wall in a town called Wall. I loved how Gaiman doesn't take himself too seriously, and it shows in the book. I loved how even two-dimensional characters weren't two dimensional characters, and I loved how twists came that were so simple and lovely that you had to say, Lordy, how didn't I see that coming? 
               I loved how Tristran Thorn is able to take things as they are. 
               This candle will get me to where I need to go, through inexplicable teleportation. Okay.  
               I'm looking for a fallen star. The star is a teenage girl. Sure, why not?
               The tree is talking to me. Okay, then.
               THERE'S A UNICORN FOR US TO RIDE. Sure. 

               I loved this book, and seeing as I seem to be the only one of my friends who hasn't read it, I don't feel it needs too much of a standard review from me following my previous rant about the amazing-ness that is this story. Please, go and read the book, because my ranting and writing can't do it justice. 


...Did I mention that I loved this book?

No comments:

Post a Comment